Friday, February 25, 2011

Because Sometimes Laughter Really is the Best Medicine




As a women we are imprinted from birth how to think, see and feel constantly by the culture in which we in find ourselves in.  In this inspiring TedTALK though, Liza Donnelly shows that women in the media do have the power to cultivate positive change through joy and laughter.  I don't know if I exactly agree with her ideas, but, perhaps by me not agreeing I am really just saying, I'm one of the many stuck in a mold of "Political Correctness"  too worried about who and how I may speak, and less concerned with the actual issues at hand. Worrying about offense creates too many mental barriers and often never allows the real problems to be heard. (Interesting how even as my fingers strike the keys, the words still seem like concepts I should possibly hold my tongue over for fear of being labeled "unworthy" or "offensive").   
Donnelly suggests that perhaps we are too "Politically Correct" to begin with.  Maybe this world needs a few good media queens to take the reins and show the country how they can "loosen up a bit"?  Look at John Stewart and Steven Colbert, where's insert name of woman? 
The rules of society have been laid down long ago.  What if rather than terror and guns war raged with, laughter and joy? What if the media could become the next great bullet of revolution?
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment