Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Art of Being Woman

This week The Marshall Artists Series gives to the campus of Marshall University, along with city of Huntington their Spring International Film Festival.  I have worked this festival for three years now and I can safely say this has by far been my favorite.  Watching the films is always like taking a two hour trip around the world, away from my own home and into the eyes and lives of someone else's.  

That being said, a few days ago I saw a film that I know will stick with me for a very long time.

A Mid-August Lunch, from Italy tells the story of a man who lives with his mother and basically, in order to pay rent this man has to baby sit his mother and her three cohorts for one night.  What I find most intriguing about this film is how simple and honest it is.  Here are three women near the end of their days who would never let you tell them them that.  I love this film for so many reason but perhaps the best one being, it's a lesson on how to age gracefully; DONT.

For one night audiences are invited to taste the lives of four people and never know anything about their before or after, merely their present.  The film allows you to see all a person holds dear in an instant  and know that good times must be cherished, because they cannot last forever.  Although, it is never polite to end them too quickly.

Honestly, after leaving the beautifully ornate Keith-Albee all I could do was smile and feel blessed that I had the opportunity to meet such vibrant  women

If you haven't already gotten a chance to see this film, find a way.  To you, though, I offer this, don't go waiting to be entertained.  Instead, understand that you have been invited to take a trip to Italy and join three exuberant ladies for A Mid-August Lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment