Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ladies, We've Come a Long Way

Ladies, today we may complain about the way the media portrays us, but I want you to look at how far we have actually come.  Today honestly people do recognize that while super-models out there do exists, in all actuality the "real woman" is the celebrated one.

Not so in the 1950's



Yes... this is an actual ad for "Eat, Eat, Eating" TAPEWORMS to be thin... ummm I'll take the diet pills any day!  (Just kidding).  But seriously, part of the text reads, "Friends for the fair form."

Next up...

Spousal abuse.  ... just for "not store testing the coffee".

[868.jpg]
Yes part of this actually reads, "A man marries a woman because he loves her.  So instead of blaming him if married love begins to cool, she should question herself."... ladies... seriously.  I we have come a LONG way.


So this is where that cliche' comes from.

hilarious vintage sexist womens health ads



and last but not least


Yes... thank you women's rights movement for giving me the chance to do something other than make a sandwich.  Seriously though, before today I never realized how differently women have been portrayed in the media over the past 60 years.  I realize there are still problems today and there may always be, but again at least I'm not being told to eat a tape worm :D

No comments:

Post a Comment